IoT (Internet of Things) is one technology which is becoming highly popular nowadays. IoT technology is constantly innovating and it has brought a significant change in our day to day lives.
IoT (Internet of Things)
IoT is basically a network of things which can be accessed and controlled through the internet using IoT based apps and software. IoT platform enables the network, the smart devices and users to get connected with internet. IoT works on an embedded technology to communicate with the external environment.
How to create an IoT app
1. Choose a platform
Choose any of the platform below based on your requirement.
These are proven platforms for IoT development:
- Android Things
- Azure IoT Suite
- IBM Watson
- Oracle IoT
Many of these platforms are trying to solve the inconsistency issue, allowing IoT developers to connect devices from different vendors that speak different protocols into one unified system. For example, Google’s IoT platform, called Android Things, now supports devices from a number of manufacturers and can connect to low-energy sensors.
Apple’s HomeKit offers a set of approved devices that developers can connect to their IoT systems as well as guidelines for creating IoT software.
With Apple’s homekit you can connect your devices with Siri, so users can ask their voice assistant to turn on the lights or increase heating at their homes
To give developers access to other devices that are outside of the Google and Apple ecosystems, Android Things and HomeKit offer their own APIs.
Using platforms is the best way to developing IoT apps.
2. Choose the hardware
If you aren’t going to produce your own hardware for your IoT project, you need to choose hardware from other device makers. First, this hardware should correspond to your product’s needs. Second, this hardware should be reliable, as it connection accuracy is crucial for your project’s success. Choosing sensors made by a reliable device maker can guarantee quality.
3. Think of scalability in advance
Think about the pace at which you plan to develop your app’s functionality. Whether your app will stay relevant depends much on scalability. It has to manage increasing amounts of data and many different devices and processes. Cloud technology is best for IoT for this reason.
4. Make sure your app is fast
IoT apps have to be extremely fast. When it comes to sharing data and remotely controlling devices, the price of each lag is too high. Imagine a connected car that won’t immediately react to your commands. This is why performance and high-speed connections should be one of your top priorities.
5. Take good care of security
The absolute top priority for your IoT application must be security. Unfortunately, because of the large number of connected devices that all live in one network, IoT technology is rather vulnerable to data infringement.
And because of the areas where people use IoT most – their homes, cars, and healthcare devices – these attacks can result in exposing private and sensitive data.
Make sure you use secure tools to build the internet of things application.
Here are a few tips on ensuring security in your IoT app:
- Choose hardware vendors carefully– Some vendors that offer software for their devices can miss potential software vulnerabilities. For your IoT app, make sure to choose reliable hardware or run it by security specialists.
- Use proven IoT platforms– Much depends on the platform you use for your IoT application. Be sure to use reliable platforms that test their tools and update them regularly.
- Consider not only network attacks but also physical attacks– Any data stored on a device should be not only encrypted but also physically protected: make sure it isn’t easy to remove the storage.
- Use protected networks– All data that circulates between your app and devices through a server or the cloud should be encrypted.
- Apply best practices for app security– Use encryption, obfuscation, two-factor authentication, and other techniques to ensure that your IoT app and devices are used securely by authorized users.